R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Battery question (charging and how run Li-Po in series)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Racecrafter
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Taman
Hi,
looking for some help, my Venom Pro charger manual advises never to charge a Li-Po over 1C charge rate but the Venom 7.4V 2S battery I have, has on it that the charge rate is 3C?

Also how do you run lipo batteries in series?

I have a 1/8 buggy and I want to use 2 x 2S batteries instead of a 4S. I've read that you cun run them in series e.g. one lead going from -ve to -ve and teh +ve go to the deans connector. Not sure how this is done as I would prefer not to use a "Y" harness. The batteries have the +ve and -ve round holes that you plug the leads into.

Thanks!
For safety reasons you should not charge over 1C. This is not to say that the battery in question won't take a 3C charge, but again it's for safety concerns.

To run batteries in "series" the + on the connector goes to the + on one pack. Then you take the - on the connector and it goes to the - on the other pack. Then what is left is a wire from the first packs - to the second packs +. This is "series" wiring. This increases the voltage (in this case double) and retains the same mAh.

Two 7.4v / 5000mAh packs in "series" will become 14.8v / 5000mAh

Two 7.4v / 5000mAh packs in "parallel" will become 7.4v / 10000mAh

Also make sure that you ALWAYS balance charge each battery separately.

Hope that helps.