R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Kinetic
Thread: Novak Kinetic
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
The 3 fires I had were down to the brakes. Never run them higher than 60%. If you do the voltage spikes are too much for the capacitor unit and will fry it. Then it's major melt down time. After I turned down the brakes and ran 1.4.3 Firmware I managed to run for 8 or so races before the turbo delay was no longer recognised.

In Novak's own words the Kinetics are often fine,fine,fine then chatastrophic failure. Either dead brain board, "confused" brain board, melted Cap, turbo delay ignored, timing settings won't update etc, etc, etc.

Novak will support you and swap out your Kinetic for a having Pro. This is what I've gone for. I'll try it but to be honest the timing settings are a bit limited on it and there is no additional turbo feature so if it can keep up in stock TC we will see.
The brake re-gen problem was fixed at least 18 months ago, if you're running a older model then you could still have a problem so send in your units or get a hold of Charlie with your unit serial number and he can tell you if its updated or not.

The main Brainboard problem was rectified at least 8 months ago, and Novak even requested if you suspect a issue to contact them and they would send you a replacement for that. Since then there may have been a occasional lemon in the line, but there are few speed controls in this forum that haven't had a problem of one sort or another.

Melted cap was a installation issue and quickly fixed, again, Novak posted a memo on what to check for and gave you the option to fix yourself or get a replacement.

The rest have all been looked at and can be rectified with the reset.

If anything Novak have been upfront and have offered above and beyond fixes for any of the past issues.

The Havoc Pro SC is a very good controller and your concerns about timing limits should not be a problem. The unit actually gives you more adjustments then the majority of the units out there. You are correct there is no boost, but if you get your gearing correctly this should not be a problem either.