R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Martin Crisp
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
I want to try for a little more turn in, I have a mild push on entry. what adjustment or combo would you guys try? I can not decide if I want to increase rear sway from 1.2 to 1.4 to match the front or decrease wheelbase by going from 5mm to 4mm in front of rear arm, increasing front toe from .0mm to .5mm or match my spring front and rear. I am running white rear and gray front and am thinking of going gray front and rear, or possibly lean down from the 4th to 3rd hole on front shock. My car was very good and I am only looking for a small improvement.
I am leaning toward the spring or wheelbase adjustment with the toe being least likely
Thx
Don
I think your idea of going to a gray rear spring is a good start, The 1.4 rear bar should also help. You could add some anti-dive in the front, which will make the turn-in more abrupt, but will also make the car push more in the middle of the corner. You may want to also try adding 0.5mm to 1mm more spacers on the inboard upper link on the front. This will allow the front to dig a little harder on turn-in, but will also cause the car to push a little more in the middle of the corner. If your chassis is rubbing on the driving surface near the front of the car, then you are loosing some steering as the chassis hitting the ground will take away grip. If this is the case you can go up on the spring rate all around by 1 step until your chassis no longer rubs. On very high grip carpet tracks however you can go too far and cause the car to traction roll. You could also add some front toe-out to get a more abrupt turn-in...but like some of the other adjustments above, you will loose mid corner steering. For all of the adjustments that can cause more mid corner push, you can compensate by adding 0.5mm shim to v2 steering rack to reduce ackerman.

Just some thoughts. Cheers.

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
Great , today i went to the track to run some lipo's.
Car felt better then last time , the rear end grip by off trottle steering was a liitlebit better , but like i wonna have it hehehe.

I gave the car less grip in the front by bringing the toe out for 1° to 0,5° , so i decrease steering and the rear end created more grip.
Guys correct me if i'am wrong
Decreasing the front toe out from 1 to 0.5 degrees will make the car have less initial turn in but will make the car push mid corner. So it may feel like you have more steering becaue the car reacts more quickly to initial steering input, but you are loosing steering mid corner. You could compensate for this by adding another 0.5mm spacer to the v2 steering rack to reduce the ackerman (dynamic toe-out) so you don't loose the mid corner steering as well.