R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Replace parts or Buy New Engine
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM
ugglasdav
Tech Adept

Default Replace parts or Buy New Engine

hi guys and gals, need some advice on what to do, i ran my engine way to hot and there is some serious pitting on top of the piston, in the center of the piston its fine but anywhere around that has alot of small pits, more being towards the exhaust port, the piston also has a deep scratch in the side towards the top, the head button or conical head also has a huge amount of pitting, both the piston and the head button have a huge amount of pitting and there surfaces are like sandpaper. this engine is not that old as it was due for its first new con rod, it has around 5 liters of fuel through it from new, the sleeve just has a few scratches on the inside, my question is should i replace the parts that are damaged hoping that the rest are ok or buy a completely new engine, the engine is a IDM RCW, the same as a picco torque, so parts would be cheap but i still dont know what to do. i am almost certain the damaged was caused by the engine operating at to high of a temperature, but could this happen in just one race day?, i cleaned out the engine about 2 weeks before the race day and it was fine