R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Input on charger choice before I pull trigger
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
flipwils11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

OK, tried editing my post to change this thread somewhat but I can't edit the original subject. I ended up purchasing the icharger combo setup I mentioned, the 206b and p350 power supply. Very slick, but to be honest, intimidating!

I have a few questions...

As I read through the owner's manual, it's apparent this thing is very configurable, but for me being a basics type of person until I learn this a bit better, is this a set it and forget it type charger? Will the factory default lipo settings work fine for my Turnigy Lipo 2s 5200mah batteries?

I'm testing the thing out right now on an older nimh pack since I don't have to worry about fires or anything (hopefully). I didn't change a thing, just let the charger figure things out. I've seen in the owner's manual that it detects the battery type, so I don't need to set the number of cells and mah like I did with the last charger I had. The hobbyking website lists the maximum charge rate for my lipos as 2C, so I guess I need to dig into the menus for lipo charging and confirm that the factory default won't exceed that.

So I guess, assuming I doublecheck the charge rate on my lipos, should I just plug it in and let the charger figure out how best to charge my batteries? Any suggestions for those that use this charger on settings I should adjust?

I do have a lipo charging bag which I always use and I store them when not in use in a metal box similar to an ammo container.

I haven't purchased any 4s lipos yet so I may have more questions, and my knowledge of balanced charging and plugging everything in correctly is probably going to require follow-up questions.