R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LiPo: shorty pack vs. standard packs
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
6376vette
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Yes, you will find full size road race cars with a side weight bias... but you make other good points. Maybe that's why I don't win more...
A TCS Mini may not qualify as a "race car", but when Lipos first became available they were very light and we lost the handling. Weights helped A LOT. Then the batteries got heavier again, and we could remove SOME of the weights. Minis also have cross-mounted batteries, so it's easy to slide them around and use tape to secure. Positioning for 50/50 was not the hot set up at Tamiya track.
I hope this thread stays popular. Many of you guys know so much, your input is valuable and anticipated!
I have always found that a balanced car is much more predictable then a weight biased car. For me the predictability is much faster then weighting the car to handle some turns better than others. I tried a left side heavy car and the time I saved on some turns was wasted on the others. I actually got better lap times by balancing the chassis.

I agree with your points about the minis. A car can be too light. Overall weight is also a balance between too light and too heavy.