R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Your Custom Paintjobs
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM
red7fifty
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Props go out to everyone that attempts any paintjob, regardless of how it comes out. It was daunting for me when I first started painting bodies (in the 80's), Carefully trimming with moms' biggest pair of Sears scissors/shears, using the wrong paint that would flake off (Testors) and the Testors paint brush, ripped decals from trying to remove and reapply them. And never having the right size drill bit.
Now, you can buy, curved scissors and a body reamer for $6 each, and if you use Fascolor, (or other water based paint) it is easy enough to hold under the kitchen sink and wash it off while its' still wet, if your effects doesn't come out right. In fact, one of my mistake bodies, I only washed off half the screw up, and that ended up having an interesting final look, that people ask me how I did it...and they don't believe me, when I tell them I "screwed it up" lol.
You can also make a practice paint surface, by taping a large clear plastic bag (like the one the body comes in) on a flat surface. You can try different freehand airbrushing, or see how colors look.
And like many have said, or will tell you, practice makes perfect.......I'm still practicing, after 25+ years in RC.