R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 racing new F1
Thread: 3 racing new F1
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I had my cars out for practice again this weekend. Mike Pulfer was out to practice with his On Point 12th. He wanted to give the FGX a whirl. After some front tire prep - Didn't clean the fronts enough after the last practice - the cars were ready to turn some hot laps. After this round of changes the cars were running a couple tenths faster than last week. Is there more left? I'm not sure. We are down to tuning radio settings, braking strength, drag brake and throttle curves. We did find out that the car loves drag brake at 40% on the Hobbywing Justock. Steering speed was slowed by 20% and the steering EXP was decreased by 15% just to make the steering feel more natural and less twitchy. The front tire traction was a non issue. No more push. With throttle you could make the rear of the car predictable and induce a little wheel spin if needed (basically a controlled drift) to point the nose of the car in the right direction. With brakes you could make the car stop and rotate and get back to a straight line. Have you ever watched someone with really good driving skills push your car to its limits? It was an eye opener. My best lap was a half second slower on a track where .1 of a second makes a difference. They've started calling me "The Team Principal" as I show up with my 2 cars and let everyone else test them. Then go through the results and make changes. And my comparison, the WGT Blinky cars are about 1 second a lap faster. My personal best in WGT was a 7.8. The FGX was an 8.8. Average laps were still consistently 1 second different.

If I haven't said it before, I can't wait for some front arm updates from 3Racing. I posted on the 3Racing Facebook page and put up the link to this thread for their viewing pleasure.