R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a generator for race days. Need help on a model
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM
got_nitro
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fun hawg 1
I have a eu2000 honda best generator I have ever had. Quiet and runs our camper to will run 10 hr on 1gal of fuel at 1/4 load Thats the tv and many other things. It will not run the ac unit

Take a 8000 BTU window AC unit, it's good for 350sq feet, it runs at 720 watts but it pulls about 2000 when it kicks on (because of the compressor) that's why it wont turn it over...

What a lot of people are not understanding that a genny might be rated to run the wattage listed on a box or the unit it's self but what a lot are not taking into consideration is the start up wattage units pull.

You always want to buy a genny on the overkill side to be safe. I have a Champion 1200-1800 peak I use for myself and maybe one other guy on the road racing, a Generac GP3250 when I'm going to be pitting with a few others, it runs blower fans, all the chargers and some loud music with plenty to spare! A GP8000E to run my house if and when the power goes out.

Buy big, you can always not use all the power it has to offer, buy small and you cant get more out of it if you need it.

Besides, I run 75 to 100 feet of 12ga and 14ga cord, all of the genny's are plenty far enough away for the "loudness" factor, can't even hear them over all the nitro's anyway....