R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zaraz
which is a better f1 car to get, the tamiya f104 pro edition, f104 x1, or the 3 racing fgx, I am looking to getting into f1 racing as it looks like a lot of fun, any info would be great thanks
The Pro and X1 will cost more than an FGX and an aftermarket chassis and both Tamiya models are very hard to find at the moment. Tamiya shows both as discontinued and bringing a stock F104 to the level of either the X1 or Pro kit can get expensive. The FGX only needs a couple basic tuning items to keep in mind when building it to be a good performer, which really are about the same for the F104. You need the right tires, springs, sway bars and oils to tune it right for your surface. If you run on an open track without wood barriers to separate the lanes, the FGX will be fine. If you run on a track with hard unforgiving barriers, you may want the Tamiya for front end durability. Both can be made to perform on either hard or carpet surface with out much effort. It all depends on your budget.

Testimonial: I will say that after 125 laps with 3 different drivers, My FGX with a McKune chassis on carpet was still running laps at the same speed with no fall off. Once the tires gained heat/traction, they stayed consistent for over 20 minutes. Some would say that is a fluke, but then we took out its sister car and did the same thing to see if we could beat the previous lap times. Both cars, over 20 minutes, nearly identical lap times. And yes my eyes still hurt.