R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3Racing Sakura Zero S
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 AM
6376vette
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wollow86
Other then having worked on a friends zero s and some quick comparisons I couldn't definitively tell you it would be 100% the same. I can compare them closely over the next few days and tell you for sure.

I would say without a doubt you'd need the XI steering system, but the things that are different on the bulkheads are only minor. For example, on the rear bulk head for the XI the changes is the extra section for the integrated belt tensioner, the holes for the different bearing cams that can be screwed in place rather then clamped in place, the bulk head covers that can accept the different shock tower (bringing the mounting holes further forwards) and the adjustable arm length without changing camber.

But despite all that, the mounting screws, and the lugs to line the bulkheads up on the chassis, look to be in the same places, and same distances apart from each other.

The XI bulkheads still have the screw holes for mounting the rear tower for the zero(s) as well.

The other things like suspension mounts are the same as well.

You would not have the holes for the battery holder, and gain some for the battery locator posts the XI uses. The bumpers are the same... So I reckon most of it is the same.

A lot of the other stuff the XI has are things like the narrow rear arms as standard, V2 gear diff and solid axle front, motor mount is moved forward, but i think its mostly the same as the zero mount apart from the root arm being different.

I'm actually using the root arm from a VMM for the zero right now for more space for pinions, and that lines up fine. And I've also used a V1 diff in the front of mine (from a zero s) with the bearings from that and the cams from my XI, also worked fine.

But I haven't compared the 2 with callipers side by side to know for sure. As I said though, I can check some time in the next few days.
Great information. I'm glad to hear that the parts seem to interchange. Makes spares easier. I will be very interested in your "official" findings in the future.