R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM
6376vette
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
First of all Terry, I/12 scale on-road should NOT go with independent suspension; it has ALWAYS been a solid axle car, ALWAYS!! Plus, it was never meant to be a "scale" class anyways!! They were never meant to resemble real cars! It was, and is, the epitome of solid axle pan car racing. It is intended for those who want THE fastest carpet car PERIOD!! Those who race 1/12 don't expect their cars to look like anything in 1:1 scale; they just want the ultimate performance that 1/12 carpet racing provides. They are a lot of fun to race and they definitely have their place. But they should NOT be compared to F1. That is apples to oranges, nothing alike, nor should they be!

F1 rc racing should be, first and foremost, about "scale racing"! This is a class that promotes the cars AND the racing to be as much like the real thing as is possible. And cars such as the FGX and the others that are sure to follow in it's footsteps are true to that principle; whereas cars like the "current" Corally and the prototype Top are not!! If they can be modified to use a "proper" F1 style front suspension and use "proper" F1 wheels and tires, instead of 1/12 or 1/10 pan car wheels and tires, and be to scale measurements, then maybe they would be considered legal. I don't see why Corally and Top are producing those cars, other than to appeal to the "to heck with scale appearance, I want all-out performance" set, who if they get their way will ruin F1 for everyone.

Also, on carpet so far, the FGX is competitive with the F104 and the F1R, and the F109 etc. but has shown no advantage over those cars. On asphalt however, the FGX may prove to have an advantage. One thing all these cars have in common though is that they all look like "real" F1 cars, unlike the WGT F1 pan cars from Corally and Top. I hope Top comes to their senses and changes the current design of their prototype to fit within the proper F1 paramaters.
+1

I have seen this same discussion over and over. What it all comes down to is that SOME not all people against the fgx or any other "different" but still scale car will come out to the track and beat them. Cmon guys. These cars are equals not superiors. Yes they have independent suspension. So what. They also weigh more. No advantage there. They also require lots more tuning. No advantage there either. They also require more attention to stay competitive. Cleaning and relubing are a must with this type of car. I want to tune it, play with it all week, and race it on Saturday. Does that make it a bad car? No makes me personally a better racer and tuner because it is a challenge to make the fgx fast. its about the personal challenge. Not beating everyone else at the track.