R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - eZRUN brushless system
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 AM
bugman72
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The EZRun combos are still some of the "best bang for the buck" sets out there. One thing to be aware of is that you have to be aware of exactly what motor you are getting, depending upon your needs. Any of the motors that have the built-in "cooling fins" are actually 540-sized cans, but have 370-sized armature. This means that when comparing a 9T true 540 motor to a 9T "finned" motor, there will be some substantial differences. I can't remember where I saw this, but, for example the 9T 4300kv "finned" motor has less than half the amp draw of a 9T true 540 motor and at the same time about half the power. That's why HobbyPartz combos the motor with a 35A ESC. Put a true 540 9T on that ESC and it will release the magic smoke pretty fast.

Don't get me wrong, this particular motor that I am referring to is a beast for the price. I have it in a Redcat Lightning EPX drifter and I've had to put the throttle down to about 60%. For your application, I would imagine that this motor would be more than enough. For a short course truck, probably not.