R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM
orcadigital
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I'll relay to you some of the things that I've found on misc. cars that have acted weird, some of this is very simple but, over sight sometimes.

Check the axle pins, they can work their way out slightly and make the car do all kinds of weird things, till they come out to the point of stopping rotation of the car.

The S411 has actual Left and Right steering hubs, so you can put them in on the wrong side, or if you replaced one, you could have the wrong side in.

We had one guy who struggled with his new car (another make), they put it on the stand and checked all the settings, continually did changes on the car and it was just plain difficult to drive, I think they spent 2 nights working on it and got no where. I took a look at it, and first thing I noticed was he had the c-hubs in backwards, so instead of tilting back, they pointed forward......suffice to say the car works much better now.

Also make sure that you don't have the belts too tight.

I run both motor mounts and really prefer the stock 2 pce unit, now that the setscrew fix came out. The stock top deck still works very well, and I run all the deck screws as well.

Not familiar with SWEEPS, but rubber tire in general seems to be dictated by the compound and the side wall. Saying that something with a higher sidewall and a bigger air gap could create some strange handling issues, so the possibility of gluing the sidewalls would help get the tire more consistent and more positive. I prefer to even do the sidewalls on the JACO blue, which seems to help slow the ring of death down on those tires.

Hope some of this might help and let us know what you find.
I had actually flipped the c-hubs on my old TC3 a while back, and am very dilligent on that now. Silly mistake, but hopefully won't get burned by that one again.

The set screw fix I assume is just to replace that one screw that goes into the motor mount with a long set screw, so that the movement is limited between the motor and layshaft?

There have been a lot of awesome suggestions here, and reading this thread is a big reason I got the S411 at all. The amount of knowledge and help provided here. Couple that with the quality of my S100 and how happy I am with it, and the extremely helpful attitudes of the folks from Serpent America working with our LHS, I am very pleased with my choice, and am confident my car will be on track soon.

I will have more to report tomorrow, as I have the day at the track to work on and test some things out.

Thanks again to everyone!

Grant