R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Beginner looking for advice/help from experienced members
Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM
8ight-e
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

First off you're wasting money upgrading motors & ESCs etc at this stage.

1) buy the RTR SCTE (run the stock body, you'll beat it up bad then snag a nice new one when it's time & keep the other on the slash)
2) buy TLR racing upgrade kit
3) Get a Nice 2s 6000mAH hard shell race pack (Orion 6500mAH 90c is one of the best)
4) Don't change anything from stock for 3 or 4 races, focus on no crashes and reducing lap times.
5) When you are ready tweak the truck setup, use a local fast guys setup including and most importantly tires! (forget losi's and the scte's thread setups as they are not for your track)
6) Now maybe start modding (reducing weight), few upgrades & lightened out drives (don't bother w/ outdrives until your first diff service)
**see the scte thread for tips on this truck..

The stock RTR motor will be more than enough for you to keep up with anyone on the track.. if your skills permit. Super fast is super stupid when you are learing to drive on a track, you need to just work on your skills first. Slower is faster more times than not on the race tracks, You're in NY so you are inside so you don't need crap for speed anyway at this point. Stock gearing will be a great start... don't mess race and have fun and improve skills. There is a little rubbing in short course but you shouldn't be bulldozing and trashing everyone on the track.. the cleaner you are the faster you are The rest will come with time and you won't have to ask.. you'll just know. Motors and esc's wont make you fast if you can't stay on all 4 wheels and make tight turns and hit the jumps properly. Gear up the stock motor until heat is an issue.. snag the new motor/esc combo for summer if you really think you need it.

Snag a brushless traxxas velineon cheap and a 3s cheap lipo for your slash for bashing at home, don't bash your race truck.. nothing worse than having issues and brakage while paying for and driving to a race track.. keep the race truck ready to race and keep it clean and nice

PS the Hitec 985mg iMO is the best servo you can find for these trucks.. super effeicent, super quick, tons of torque and a great price online.. I'm running one in my scte since day 1 and I've had mine since soon after release, they are amazing servo's. I have had this same servo model in my 1/8 scale e-buggy for 3 years.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 03-03-2012 at 08:26 PM.