R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-Evolution III
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 09:07 AM
trf racer
Tech Master

Originally posted by rtypec
Chill out guys...Evotech, these guys are only trying to help and provide insight based on their experience.

I've run Evo3 from they day it was released and have run every iteration of it including versions with Square, Tech, and other Japanese aftermarket parts.

The aluminum gearboxes are a GREAT investment. They aren't as heavy as most people make them out to be and the extra structural rigidity you get helps a great deal. Also, the gear boxes are machined with percision, you can shim your gears perfectly. I highly recommend this if setup if you're running low mod motors in a weight regulated class (the Evo3 is a light car) If you're club racing where everybody's running ultra-light stuff...the plastic gear boxes work...

In regards to the suspension components, Tamiya makes some of the best arms and hub carriers...EVER. I've clipped the inside board in a sweeper at a full throttle 10 turn boogie and cartwheeled into the opposite board, then launched into the retaining fence and continued driving, no damage only a mild chassis tweak. This is with the stock suspension. Yes, I have tried the Square and Tech Racing aluminum parts in the suspension but I find that they add a HUGE amount of unsprun weight to the suspension and they make the car feel lazy. I believe the aluminum rear hub carriers are good to have but the front is just overkill and adds a lot of bling with no performance benefits.

I'm running out of pennies, so that was my $.05 worth

Did somebody say "Slow guy extrodinaire John Winter"? Just kidding, homeboy is a pretty fast clean driver and a riot off the track. If you guys see him, tell him that Rodzilla says "High!" and ask if he's seen any good boots lately

It sounds like your car is tweaked...Check to make sure your chassis is and everything is not tweaked. Take the wheels off and put the car on a flat surface and push down on the shock towers, does it feel like the chassis is lying flat? or does it feel like you can tap morse code on one of the corners? If the car is tweaked, loosen all of the upper deck screws and have a friend push down on your shock towers while you re-tighten the screws. Set the car up again making sure all of the adjustments are equal side to side and when finished do a final suspension tweak. Put the car on a flat surface with tires or setup wheels on and lift the front/back up using an exacto or small hex driver placed at the centerline of the chassis, see if both l/r sides lift at the same time, if not adjust the spring preload (add more preload to one side and less on the other side to side) on the opposite end(front/rear) so that they do lift equally. I hope this helps...

lol.yes i saw john winter race and when he screws up a race he starts playin about.
very amusing to watch and marshal!

not for the race directers tho.
they were stressing cause he took out the lappers wen they came round.