R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Losiho
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm hoping someone can help me with my setup of my TC5.

This year I'm getting back into racing after a long break. During January, I raced a FT TC4 at my local track. I used the kit setup from the manual, and I loved it. It was basically neutral, and I actually needed a little more steering in some parts of the track.

This weekend, I debuted my new TC5 (not the R or the F), and it was probably the most evil handling r/c car I've ever driven . I race on a medium traction track (no sugar water), and I used the standard TC5R rubber setup here -http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/TC5R/tc5_standard_rubber_2008.pdf
The only change to the above setup was - 2 degrees negative camber all around, 5.5mm ride height front and rear. It has the AE slipper spool in the front, and the AE LiPo battery holder.

At the end of the straight on my track, there is a low speed left hand corner. My TC5 was flicking the tail out as soon as I slowed down for the corner and turned in. On the other low speed corners, I simply could not accelerate without the back end coming around quickly and sharply. I don't mean "whoops, here comes the back end slide" type of oversteer, I mean fast, uncatchable, spin-in-its-own-length type oversteer. It was so undriveable I had to park it for the day after 2 heats.

When I set the car up, I made sure everything was balanced. I measured all 4 shocks using a digital caliper, carefully set the spring preload on all shocks to adjust for the different weight of the LiPo pack (Orion 5500 90C), and made sure all the chassis and shock tower screws were carefully tightened to avoid tweak. I'm sure the chassis isn't "tweaked", because the handling was just as evil in left and right hand corners. I have added 28 grams of weight on the battery side of the chassis (14gm in front of the battery, 14gm behind it).

Since the race meeting yesterday, I have made the following changes -
40wt shock oil front and rear
shock position - 3B front, 1B rear
double check diff settings (all smooth, no slip)
re-set my ESC (LRP SXX TC V2)
radio - reduce the steering dual rate on my Helios from 150 to 85

I haven't taken off the sway bars, but that could be the next step.

Weather conditions were hot (36 degrees C), tyres were Ride 36s, prepped with LRP traction compound and warmed with Trinity tyre warmers before every race.

I also raced a new Yokomo MR-4TC BD yesterday as well. I was more worried about this car, as I usually hate driving cars with a one way (it has a spool front, but a one way gear on the spur gear shaft). In complete contrast to the TC5, the Yoko was beautiful, easy to drive and forgiving, even though it also has a chassis designed for Sub Cs and not LiPo cells.

Any setup advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.