R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
e_lu_sive1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by h8thatadmin
Ever heard the phrase "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? Run BFast diff balls, end of story. No quality issues with BFast stuff. The only thing that destroys diff balls is running the diff too loose, and letting it slip. Just one tiny little slip is all it takes. Just one bark and the balls have flat spots that will cause the rings to wear at a faster rate. This increase in wear will also cause the diff to loosen up more, thus being more susceptible to slipping agian. As you can see, it is a very slippery slope that once you start down, there is no recovery. The only thing you can do is start over with new diff balls, and new or resurfaced rings.

ok. well this was the first run at the track so i could blame losi for having only 1 ball diff spilt straight down the middle..im sure they get those from china..well, i thought the opposite.. the diff balls would wear bc of the rings being applied too much pressure..those are the only flat surface i see causing a flat surface on a round surface..plus I'm sure you will get a diff ball dud..checking the tolerance on that tiny diff ball gotta be a pain..

The steps between weight and manufactures are not linear. Basically the step from 20 to 25 is not the same as the step from 25 to 30. The WT numbers don't correlate to anything, except one another. They are just numbers picked out of the sky. Losi 25 wt is thicker than Losi 20 weight, and that is about all you can guarantee. Ambient tempurature also has an effect on the oil as well. Your best bet for accuracy is to stick with a single brand. Or switch over to an oil that is CST rated. CST or centistrokes, is an actual measurment of fluid viscosity, so as long as an oil is accurately labeled, you could in theory switch between any CST measured oil and it should yield the same handling characteristics. Now it is possible that different brands of oil, whether labeled WT or CST, would respond differently to temperature. Like was stated earlier, the absolute best thing is to pick one brand and stay with that. Losi is nice because it is certified and colored. AE is now made by Lucas, so it is probably also very consistant. A couple drops of food coloring would make the AE oils easier to identify if you are not very good at remembering what you have in your shocks.
on the shock oil..again..trail and error..you have to see what works for u (the driver) and track conditions..

Originally Posted by burris7555
Just rebuilt my ball diff with losi hard balls, Avid ceramic thrust balls and stock out of the package rings. It is the best and smoothest ball diff I have ever built.

Silky smooth.

That being said does anyone have a spare or lightly used gear diff they would like to let go? I want to try one in my brothers 22 and it would be one less thing I have to maintain on his car.