R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Fix My Driving/Setup (w/video)
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM
peter_robinson
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The camera is a GoPro Hero HD 2. This is the one you want, because you can adjust its field of view between 3 different settings. The GoPro cameras have a VERY wide angle fisheye lens on them, and the older versions wouldn't let you change the FoV, so RC videos always looked far away. The newer version does sort of a digital zoom effect, and crops the video so it looks like you're zoomed in, and makes things seem closer. It also eliminates some of the barrel distortion from the fisheye. I'm using the medium FoV setting on my camera (1080p 30FPS). The narrowest FoV setting shows what the car is doing in more detail, but it's hard to position the camera so that you keep the car in the frame the whole time. The GoPro doesn't have a viewfinder, and even if it did, you wouldn't be able to see it once it's mounted on your head. So the medium FoV gives you a pretty good chance of keeping the car in the frame.

Josh and Larry. I think I follow what you're saying. It really is hard to define what a car is doing with words, like you said. Even when I talk to people about it, the best I can usually come up with is "it's pushing." Thanks for taking the time to watch and give me some suggestions, it's very helpful and greatly appreciated.
I think that you have started another new trend here. I just got a gopro hero2, now I want to go shoot some footage and post it

I see this thread filling up with a lot of video and a lot of good feedback.