R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Efra rules
Thread: New Efra rules
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 AM
TomB
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i think everone missed my initial point of a "spec Class"

having a blueprinted engine, as roelof said means you have almost no difference in engine performance except for the variables of fuel, tune, quality of build and age of the engine.

a blueprinted engine is not expensive to manufacture as it would be based on simple 2 stroke engine principles. no fancy metals, or crank balancing inserts. just a basic 2 stroke engine design with good quality materials. If a Ling long chinese company wants to make one and they use 30 year old machining tools, so be it, but the reality is most manufacturers can make a half decent engine.

a spec class could be run in tourer or 8th scale. No my suggestion wasn't to kill the high end racing, of course not. the idea is to have a spec racing class. Similar to what DS motorsports said.

You have spec engiens which are manufactured by various companies to a "blueprint". you could also have a spec tyre made to a "blueprint.

you can call this class the Spec class. it can be run worldwide, and it is run either as a seperate event to top class racing or it is a support class running as a "B class". people who do not want to spend big bucks race here. If you are good, or want to go with the big guns, you go to the open class.

Here in Australia we have a sanctioned class called Pullstart it's quite a pathetic attempt to run a "cheap class" as there is only really 1 brand that makes pull starts. it does not attract many people at all. it is, quite frankly, a failure. It's for this reason we need a proper world wide supported "spec class" with blueprinted engines that any brand can manufacture.

Blis, i'm not sure if there is really a need to the top 10 A drivers to:
"Get the top 10 A open drivers in a region to setup a top end A spec chassis and use these engines, pipe and fuel as to set a benchmark of performance.
Anyone exceeding their performance will have something to tell scrutiny!"

the top 10 guys would be in tourer or 8th scale open. This class should remain open. it is the equivalent of the F1's of racing for RC. the top teir classes.

Personally i recon a "Spec class" if supported by all governing bodies world wide would be a great success and a true step below open nitro for 8th and 10th.