R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Martin Crisp
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by brunelli ale
Hi buddies, we're working hard here in Italy, especially on stering system.

By last tests and ets 2nd round, we have found a strange feeling with s411 steer, we're testing new solutions on v.2 plate...I mean ( maybe Martin could prove me right):

Now we have 10mm between ackermann uniballs on plate, well, with that quote, steer feels like too much nervous early the corner ( when you start to push on radio stick), but loose front end from middle to exit corners.

Now we're testing a new concept plate with 8.5 mm distance, maybe better because both steer levels works more to the center of axes and steering feels more linear trought corner, from entry to exit. also we add an hole on the plate center to connect the servo's link, so the force that servo create on plate is the same for right/left sides.

It's just a test and i will update for time laps results
Sounds interesting...look forward to hearing your results. Pictures would be good. I have been running the v2 plate with 2mm spacers with good mid corner steering, but also does experience the nervousness on initial turn-in that you talked about. I am going to experiment small increments between 1.0mm and 2.0mm this weekend.

I have also been using the medium plastics for arms, chubs and uprights for durability, but I am going to try the hard arms this weekend to see if that helps increase the preciseness of the steering. I think under extreme acceleration and steering in mod on high grip tracks the medium plastic although very durable is flexing too much and reducing the preciseness of the line I can take.

I decided to keep the medium plastics for the uprights and chubs because last time I use them I felt they were not resilient enough for our very hard boards at my local track. Also I find the axle bearings seem to have less slop when using the medium uprights than the hard uprights in the rear.

Myself, Andrew Hardman (a very fast 13 year old xray driver here in Canada.) are going to be running mod this weekend as we don't get to run mod very often and want to step up our game. Even Andrew Hardman's mechanic Corey Whiteman who has not raced in a few years, will be laying it down in mod this weekend. When Corey use to race regularly, he and I had some great battles, as I do now with Andrew