R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Sydewynder
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chongo
Hi All
I've been reading this thread for a long time but never had to ask anything as it was all there already.

Thanks to Ivan many more questions for me not to ask.
However.........

I have an M03M and the ball diff is as tight as it will go, but still feels loose when you hold one tire and spin the other.
My mini pushes hard in the corners which to me means the ball diff is tight.
I run S-grip- F, Slicks- R. I will be testing M grips all around as I recall M grip with hard front gives more grip than S-grips on carpet..

Some have said I don't have enough droop. This confuses me as I've read 5mm under piston and most seem to run .5mm - 1mm droop.
I have removed all rear spacers and left the front alone and will test again.
Shock length was 56mm now 59mm.

Also I did put o-rings on the shock mounting screws, but are the shocks suppose to be tight or move up/down on the mounting screws?

Oh and for the record, Ivan drives circles around me too, even with his supposedly unmaintained mini.
Maybe Jim needs some more rehab and another car to look at.

Thanks
I would try different tires in the rear. A slicks if that's what you are using is Tamiya's softest ones. Best this to do is check what your fast guys at the track are using. I guess ask Ivan.
The reason some have suggested more rear droop is to give more weight transfer to the front off power coming into a turn.
I would try higher rear ride height than the front and see if that helps with you push.
On my shocks, (Al ones) the shockends can wiggle on the balls to avoid binding. Using step screws to mount the shocks, still should be loose enough to avoid binding. If there is a lot of up down slop then are the plastic end holes worn and now too big?