R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 racing new F1
Thread: 3 racing new F1
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 AM
MAD916
Tech Elite

The FGX is a great car, we have 16 of them sold and on our track over the last couple months. do the front link conversion and that will help dial in the handeling and also toughen the front up a bit. the lower arms even version 2 can benefit from some carbon rod and shoe goo too add a bit of strenght to the trailing arm. We seem to have made good progress in getting the cars to really rotate with the ackerman shiming forward and I really like the optional steering system with more shims to bring the pivot balls forward by 3mm.

Also with the link conversion you have the ability to adjust the castor without effecting the wheel base. We are running approx 2 degrees which has made my car really good, and some reactive castor is helping take some camber gain away at the off throtle turn in.

Just need to move to a front steering block that has something bigger than a 5x8mm front bearing. There is no way that little bearing can handle the lateral load, and taps on the wall. not to mention the I.D./OD fit of the axle. I did some Mods this weekend with a Touring Car Steering Block using 5x10mm bearings, it was great but there are some clearance issues. Think it is the Tamiya F-104 Steering Blocks which also have 5x10x3mm bearings....I will have then on my car by this weekend.....

I am super happy with the car I must have 60 packs through mine, and for the cost it is amazing... even with the hop ups and mods it is still more affordable than most any other F-1, and it seemed to be onpace with a very fast F-104 last weekend at our track.