R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hottest motor for XL-5 speed controller
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Hawk312
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CrunchyMaster5K
Back when I used my yellow XL-5 I ran a Orion Formula Pro BB Modified 15T Double in my Rustler with good results. I believe that all the Formula Pro motors have adjustable timing while some of cheaper Method motors have fixed timing, also the Pro BB has ball bearing instead of bushings.
Seeing as how the Orion Formula Pro BB now seem to cost $50 to $60, only paid $35 for mine in 08, I don't think it is worth the cost now at the current price.

Any rebuild-able 540 mod motor will probably last longer than a Titan with proper maintenance, and most any 15 turn mod motor should out perform a Titan.
Thanks crunchy....gives me alot of insight. I definitely have no plans of messing with the timing. When you say good results, would you say it would be a night & day/obvious immediate improvement over a stock out-of-the-box motor, or maybe just a noticeable but marginal improvement over stock?
After reading over alot of threads on the Titan, even with it being 12 turn, it sounds like it is only marginally quicker/more powerful than a silver can 540. I am seeing the Orion Methods 15T doubles on ebay for around $20....it is really tempting...
Thanks