Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
Prototype Rev 2.0

Race night at Timezone II.

Notes:
New Revtech 21.5
New Swaybar kit

I machined a new 2 piece top deck and made standoffs that fit where the battery stop mounts. The idea was to lock in the front end and have a separate back top deck that would remove for easier access to the battery. Unscrew four screws, tilt it back and you can remove the battery. This way you wouldn't have to pop off the steering linkage or mess with the front suspension.

First run: Duo 3 one piece top deck. 15.4 sec laps
Second run: Revtech geared 33/39, #5 sway bar, one piece top deck. 14.7 - 14.8 fast laps. The car was fantastic. very good steering and no hint of traction rolls. I could drive the car hard into corners and power out with great steering.
3rd run: Same but geared the Revtech 32/35. Great with 14.6 fast laps. Only 3 of us hit 14.6 sec laps all night.
4th run: same but with 2 piece top deck. 14.8 sec laps. Some how it lost a step.

In qualifying I ran the same as run 4 and had a fast 14.9 but I could not get down to the earlier runs. In the second qualifier I hit left front and had a tweak from then on. The car pulled left and became tippy on right hand turns.

In the main I finished second and the car was pretty good until I hit left front again. The same tweak to the left occurred and the car traction rolled to the right. I drove through it but it stayed bad until the end.

Conclusion: I am giving up on the two piece top deck. I am sure I could keep on messing with it and get it better but it will never be as good as the one piece. Even though it lessens the work to switch batteries it is not worth compromising the integrity of the car. I have ran 15+ runs including 40 minutes worth of mains on the one piece top deck with many crashes, hits, rolls, etc. and never once did the car develop a tweak.

Back to Rev 1.1. I am getting real close. Just need to source a few spacers and sexy up the front block.

Troy

Very nice work. Hope to see the released version at my house very soon. Rob, you might want to get one of these to play around with.