R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
namewasdallas
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
The weight of the pinion is insignificant compared to the side load the pinion is putting on the shaft trying to turn the spur gear in a heavy truck like the SCTE. The motor is capable of producing over a HP. That's roughly 200 in/lbs of force. The bearings on the Pro4 motors are also roughly 50% closer together than the 550 motors. The same force at the pinion will cause the shaft to deflect at a greater angle in the Pro4 vs a 550. By doubling up the bearing you are reducing it's load by 50%.

The bearing that failed in my motor destroyed the retainer. The only way this can happen is overloading the bearing and spreading the balls apart until the retainer fails. The bearings in the Pro4 are probably close to their design limit under normal circumstances, add the shock load from landing a jump at full throttle and you could easily overload the bearing.

Chris

I get what your saying but I dont think there is much sideload from the pinon/spur under load. The only load I could think of would be if you run your pinion/spur mesh loose and the pinion is slaping the spur or visversa and its creating a little downward force on the pinion/outshaft.

I just dont see any type of load when we have to fixed peices meshing, AKA Motor/Spur. Both are set in place and work with each other hence why I say the mesh between both could cause a bearing to fail at higher speeds if its loose and there slaping, It's very possibly if you think about it we would just never be able to tell, If anything they would slap together while in the air and on and off the gas.

im having a hard time explaing what im trying to say im tired hopefully it makes some sense.