R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM
smitty2802
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesReilly
The Race:This last weekend was the third leg of the Mid West Grand Slam Series at The Big Rug in Indy, what can say this place
is great, good lighting, great food, great people running the track.

Alston Kelso and myself were in attendance, this would really be our first big race with the S411’s so we were both a little nervous to see how we stacked up. Racers such as Dave Johnson, Chris Geotz, Bill Sydor, Junior Norton, and Mike Slaughter,
were there so I knew this would be no easy race to finish near the front.

The Qualifying: So we got there Friday night and got setup and did a little practice for a few hours but we decided to just wait and learn the track as we found out that they had sprayed the track earlier that day so you know it was going to change some as it had a chance to dry overnight. Saturday morning we started to make changes for the track and conditions. We both also ran the 13.5 open class, but just ran our stock
cars to gain further track time and test ideas for the next round. With our changes for the third round I felt our cars were very good and looking
forward to Sunday.

Sunday 4th round qualifying didn’t work out for me as well as I wanted so I slipped from 2nd to 4th in 17.5 but 2nd thought 4th was less then 0.5 sec apart so it was a very close. Kelso however made good use of the fourth round by being on a 31 one lap pace for the first three minutes TQ was a 30 6:02 but unfortunately due to a few mistakes had to settle for a 30 6:09 which put him 5th.
In 13.5 we ended up sitting 3rd for Kelso and 4th for me, we both had cars that could go faster then where we qualified as we both had very low top twenty
averages just our mistakes were bigger losing us the precious time on the overall clock.

The Mains: well they were both a bit…let’s say messy. I made a good start in the 17.5 run getting to 3rd but came through the sweeper and flipped, then tapped, then ended up last..ugh! I proceeded to make a run back to 4th only 5 seconds behind 2nd and 3rd. I honestly don’t know how Kelso’s race went or what happened from his race I do know he finished 8th. I do know that only three cars ran in the 11’s in the main and two of them were Serpent S411’s.
13.5 was a little of the same on the start and I made a few little mistake of my own having me run around in 3rd for most of the race, right at the end was very exciting as Bill Sydor had some sort on incident causing me to be right on his bumper for the last 2 or 3 laps. I was close but I couldn’t but a clean pass on him so I finished 3rd and Kelso 4th. In 13.5 main I ran a 11.757 which was the fastest anyone went in either main by a tenth!

The Cars: Both our cars are the latest kits with the 2.25mm chassis and the 2mm top deck. Hard arms and Med Chubs, steering knuckles and uprights. The other options that we used are gear diff for the front, the one piece motor mount and lipo holders. We also cut the rear of the top deck for increased rear flex and traction.

The Thanks: Serpent, Chicky, Fantom Racing, My Family, Alston and the MSI Crew,
Juinor Norton you know why . The Big Rug and MSI Racing.

I’ll have to fill out a setup sheet tonight when I get home as I can’t create a pdf here and pics of the cut top deck.

Remember the fourth leg is at MSI at the end of February make plans to be there!!
I take it you will be there???

-DC-