R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cheap power systems
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM
gogi108
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I do want to say that I found the weak link in the "yellow" hobbywing system that will probally cause problems for those who are not very experienced...The solder in the motors is not very good.I was playing with the stock super charged software at home this week and Got the motor aound the 150* mark and it quit working .I tore it down and found that one of the stator coil winds had come unsolderd from the common loop on the output shaft end of the stator.They used standard 60/40 solder..so I did a re-build removing the 60/40 and re-soldering all the stator terminations with silver solder which has a MUCH higher meltng point than standard 60/40 solder..problem fixed.. tested it by getting the motor back up to 150 with no iissues..But running in blinky at the track my motor never gets over 110, so you know I had no issues with it last night.I do want to add that I am not sure whether it was due to the 60/40 solder or just a bad solder joint that caused the failure, but since i had it tore down that far it took an extra 10 minutes to fix it right so I knew the issue wouldnt re-occur.Still an excellent bargain for what I paid for it,and i really dont even mind the re-solder at that price.
mmmm , this may have happened to me today . was running my 4wd buggy in grass to try clean it a bit after a very wet clay run got real hot and it seemed to run with brakes on , ive had this resistence with wires that wern't properly insulated touching . haven't had the chance to open it up for a look yet , glad this above post came up gives a direction to look . cheers