R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Buggy onroad races?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
blis
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Most starters always choose an offroad to start with because they can drop it down everywhere. I know some groups of fundrivers and they all like to drive onroad with their offroad cars but do not want to buy a dedicated onroad car.

Yes, I know these kind of races can be fun but knowing the world of offroad buggy is much larger than onroad I can imagine making these races more populair it can affect the real onroad racing.
On Road racing at it's essence is about perfect apexing, close clean racing and efficient power to ground. There are strict specificatins regarding wing heights, tyres footprints, low cg, weights and shells specifications.

While it's a valid comment we should have a good time, I've witnessed short course truck drivers make a mockery of onroad tracks, doing donuts, jumping curbs, littering the track with debris etc, it's fun sure, but it's not onroad racing.

I for one have an Inferno with on road tyres. It's designed for the streets, when I first visited my onroad track, I was in no way mistaken that it requires an onroad car and purchased one. There's very little challenge driving offroad on an onroad track as well. Onroad is a balance between grip, drift and traction roll and this defines the craft, just like offroad where jumps, managing bumps and landing the downside is all important.

So I do understand both sides of the argument and tend to side with Roelof, there's nothing about an onroad car designed to take and land jumps getting air, and there's nothing about an offroad car designed to get low, manage CG, roll centres and get the power to the ground.

Have fun sure, and if you enjoy driving an onroad circuit with a buggy, you should progress to enjoying the ultimate acceleration and cornering performance we all seek in on-road and support the internationally defined classes.

We can all enjoy the surf with a tyre tube, it's fun, but it's not surfing until you're standing on a surfboard.