R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 AM
schreff
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dameetz
Guys I m having a problem with my car, I don't know if this is normal, I ve been using this car for about 3 months now and I ve never broke anyparts, so everthing are from the out of box parts. The thing is when it was new my car had a very good steering in terms of response as well as radius. At that time I only had to use about 70% of steering throw and the steering was more than enough for my local track which has lots of 180deg tight corners. Week by week I can feel that it was loosing its quick steering response and steering radius especially during slow tight corners, so I began to increase the steering throw to where I wanted it. Now after 3 months using it I m using full throw and still I could not get the feel that this car gave when it was new. I had to brake earlier than I would and still its not turning into the corners tightly. Its like its having a too grippy rear end. For my driving stlye I need the quick response and abundant steering.

This happened at the same track with the same condition as it has been all the time (we only have 1 local track here). I have never change the set up that I have been using since I got it dialed the first time. I do check my set up regularly and make the adjustment to it when it is out. I also do service/clean the bearings and making sure its free, I have changed the shocks oil twice and use the same oil everytime, in other words I do service my car inside out whenerver I feel its needed. The only difference that I notice when it was new and the condition it is right now is all the arms, rear uprights and c-hubs are having play/gap, when it was new everthing were tight and smooth. Could this be the reason to my understeering/response problem? If yes, how often do you guys change these parts to make it in a tip top condition? ....... I m loving this car when it was new coz of all cars here the s411 has the best response/steering and that made me on big advantage now its the other way around If you have any advice pls let me know.....BTW I m using Savox 1251 low profile servo, could this be the culprit also? Maybe its degrading its power or speed?
I think I may be able to help with this as I'm starting to see this sort of happen with my car. The plastics on this car are very soft. That lends itself to not breaking, but has the downfalls in overall wear. The ball cups, c hubs, steering blocks, and arms all seem to wear much more quickly than other brand cars I've run. Most notably, the caster blocks and arms. While you may not be stressing the car, I'd look into replacing the caster blocks with fresh ones and fresh front arms, at least. When the car goes into a corner under load and there's play in the caster block, the car looses camber at a pretty good amount. This takes away that steering you're referring to and the quickness of response. The ball cups could be worn too. My car has 3 full race weekends on it and is still working good and gets better every time I run it, but I can definitely tell what items I'm going to have to keep an eye on.

Hope this helps.