R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC6 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Paul.Spencer
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slovanova
Total newb to carpet here. Have been trying the TC6 in VTA and the rear end is super loose on tighter corners. It just wants to do donuts when I let off and turn. I have the kit setup with reflex shock pistons and 40 wt oil in all corners. I cant figure out why it is so loose. Just looking for any pointers or things to try. So far my TC3 is way easier to drive
I would be interested to see if you have sorted this, a lot of people have given a lot for you to look at but given you have said your a noobie that may be too much too take on board.

My first question is where in the corner is it rotating? Turn in, Mid or out? They have all very different charicteristics and remidies also.

First thing to do is make sure the car has kit setup. A fair amount of people who bring me their car have tried so many things the car is a dog. So start from kit and then use this as the base.

The first thing I would suggest is that nothing is binding. take the shocks off and make sure that the arms are free too move.

Then check the shocks, or rebuidl them for good measure. What you are describing is that the rear is lifting and the car is rotaing on the front, so the shocks might be dead and not allowing upward travel.

All of the above is a good maintenence anyway and should be done regularly.

The next thing too look at is the castor. If you are running 4 degrees try 6, this will give a little more understeer into the corner but will prevent the car from rotating at turn in. Remember the weight is going to the front of the car and the rear of the car want to go to the outside so turns more and is lighter.

The TC6 as high roll centres, this means that the weight on the rear of the car is higher than the front when under brakes, the premotes more turn, which can be good dependant on the grip at the front, if the grip is high then the front will have more bite, ie more turning power, this is when a higher rear roll centre can be bad. Sometime you can tell if this is happening when the rear wheel starts to lift. If this happens and you have foam tyres you will traction roll, if you have rubber tyres you will slide. This is because the foam will grip and the rubber will overload the outside wheel.

So, that explaned, the next thing to try is lowering the rear roll centre. This can easily be done by dropping the rear king pin from bulkhead mount location B to location A. Keep the same arm mounts, droop settings etc. You will have to screw the droop screw back up though. I would also buy a pack of turnbucle eyelets and replace the shocks standard eyelets with them, this allows better droop adjustment.

SO a long story short, to me you sound like you are rotating on the front that means you have too much turn, so try the 6 degree fron blocks and drop your rear roll centre from B to A on the rear kingpin.

MAybe I should have just said that? but I guess now you know why you should do it!