R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
chicky03
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Continuing on the front tire discussion. Ive noticed there are a few differents combinations that are popular for each different class of 12th. Obviously there are plenty of setups that differ from the below... But this is what I have been noticing the fast guys using at bigger races. If I am missing something, or have something wrong, please point it out.

Blinky 17.5, I see people using:
1) Black/Yellow
2) Black/Orange(Grey-Low)
3) Magenta/Yellow
4) Magenta/Pink

13.5 Open:
1) Magenta/Yellow
2) Magenta/Pink
3) Magenta/Magenta

Mod:
1) Magenta/Pink
2) Magenta/Magenta

What is the reason for this hierarchy? More to the point, what is the reason for the Black/Yellow or Black/Orange combo being so popular in Stock/17.5, but not really used in the other classes?

Im guessing that as the motors get faster, the potential for higher corner speed increases... thus you want a car with more steering to maintain that corner speed? Is this correct?

If that is the case, are there situations where you would want to use a Magenta/Magenta combo in, say, 17.5 Blinky?
I haven't done much testing in 17,5 in a long time but most guys run the yellow/black combo because it has less grip and makes the car run a little more free. Less steering and less rear grip. If the track has low grip the pink/magenta family could certainly be faster, I have even seen it at big races but it is less common.

My personal experience with 13.5 and faster is the yellow family just does not have the traction the pink/magenta family of rubber does. The yellow rears have less forward bite than pink or magenta and usually chunk and wear out much easier/faster. I have seen them used and work but only in certain circumstances.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by chicky03; 01-04-2012 at 06:53 PM.