R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight 2.0 - what to do before competitive racing?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 PM
MattP
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

With the rtr take your steering servo and put it on your throttle and buy a good high torque metal or titanium gear steering servo.

Add 2 clutch shoes to your stock clutch because all losi rtr 8ight's for some reason only have 2 shoes on a 4 shoe clutch. I personally like to run 4 dynamite max-life shoes with 2 green and 2 gold clutch springs.

No need to buy a novarossi engine until your stocker poops out. The losi 350 .21 that comes with the rtr is a strong running engine. You should get a solid 5 or more gallons out of it before it needs replacing.

As far as drivetrain upgrades you really don't need a thing. The stock drivetrain is tough.

Running a lipo receiver pack will mean running expensive high voltage servos or using a regulator with normal servos. I personally just stick to nimh packs on my losis. Not that much of a weight difference for me to worry about.

Yes you can just add a 2nd receiver to your futaba and use that radio for the 8ight.

The Gen 3 radio tray is a good upgrade to do if you have any throttle servo issues. Lots of people say the heat and vibration from the engine causes servos to die. I think it's just the servo setup that people mess up on that causes the failures because I've ran 2 years straight without a singe servo failure. But the Gen 3 is nice because it moves your throttle servo up front away from all the heat and vibration of the motor and that alone should lessen the strain on the throttle servo and let it last longer.