R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies TCX
Thread: Hot Bodies TCX
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Airwave
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok let's take the problem from the start:
- First try, I was running double gear-diff, seemed very touchy, I decided to re-install ball diff and spool, Much better! What cst oils did you run? Putty in front and 700 - 1000cst in rear works well in low bite, but if traction is really really low then a spool/ball diff combo may be the ticket. Are any other fast racers using gear diffs at your track?I was using Spec-R diff oils, #300000 in front, #1000 in rear. Great combination on asphalt, but not on low-grip carpet... Maybe I'll give them a try once I got a better car

- Second try, oversteering a lot, I decided to change the way I sauce the tires. Only half in front, full in rear, better too! But I dislike it because I consider that the car has to behave correctly without asymmetric tire preparation... I've never had a car that worked the way I wanted it to on carpet with full sauce on the front. Not to say it can't be done but it would always bite too hard for me. Ok, I will resign myself to that

- Third try, once again, oversteering, I decided to remove spacers to make the roll center as low as possible in the rear and keep 1mm spacers in the front, I also adjust the droop to 6 in front and 4 in rear, quite better but car seemed slower... The low roll centers usually feel better but the car loses A LOT of corner speed. Too much to the point it feels like it stalls mid-corner. Try 1mm all around. You can also try reducing the front arm sweep. I usually run 1.5. It seems to have a good balance of entry, mid and exit steering.I agree about the spacers, I've gone too far... What about the droop?

- Keeping anti-roll bars is really a good idea? I've never worked on a setup without them. But some really fast drivers don't use them. But do we agree that lower is the grip, softer must the anti-roll bars be?

- Is 3-hole, 45WT, silver springs the best combination? Track conditions, layout, temp, driving style and the rest of your setup will dictate what shock package to run. Moore and Hara often run different set-ups at the same race. You really have to try for yourself to know what's the best for you.Maybe, I will prepare several dampers kits, and switch them...

- I hear that long upper links in the rear make the car more stable but lower the corner speed, is that right? In my experience, the longer rear links make the car harder to drive. Especially, on low grip tracks. Interesting, this settings seemed to appear with the TCX... I've never seen anybody running the outer hole on a TC... So back to inner hole...

- I also want to try the +1 FR block with a 1.0 FF block... Will that change affect the steering in the good way?

If anybody else have a another thing to add, don't hesitate, thanks!