R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Some suspension advice
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:56 PM
inferno13
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Zao18
Hi guys, I am having a little trouble getting the suspension in my Losi 810 buggy set just right and would like your opinions.

Here's the prob: During the summer, I noticed that handling was good, however on the big jumps, the chassis would sometimes bottom out when landing flat on the track. Stock setup for the 810 is 30 wt oil, 4-hole pistons with 1mm holes, medium springs (the only springs available for the 810 are soft, medium and hard) and no rebound. They are 12mm shock bodies. One other thing to point out, I did notice that the buggy did bounce around a bit on a stretch of small bumps (kind of like a washboard section though not quite that aggressively bumpy). To keep the buggy from bottoming out, I decided to change the oil to 35 wt, still keeping 0 rebound. However, the pack seems almost too hard. There is virtually no give when I drop the buggy to the ground. And what concerns me even more is, when I fully extend the shocks and then lay the buggy back down on the ground gently, it doesn't settle down to proper ride height. The shocks stay extended. It seems like the 35 wt oil is just too thick to properly pass through the 1mm piston holes. The shocks will move down if I push them with my fingers though, or push down on the buggy with my hands.

I am torn between two options:
1. Drill the piston holes wider, maybe 1.2 or 1.3mm

2. Go back to 30 wt oil and use the hard springs

I am actually leaning more towards option 2, since the buggy already was a little too bouncy on the small bumps. Thoughts?
light oil and heavy (stiff springs) will make it really hard to handle (atleast for me it does) it will bounce all over the place on a rough or hard track surface, better off would be stick with 35 and go to a softer spring with 50% rebound. this is just my opinion and what i would do.