R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3racing F109
Thread: 3racing F109
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 AM
MarkBurgess
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Delawareguy
I ran my f109 yesterday at my local track and it has the turning radius of an oil tanker. How can I get more steering out of the car? At the moment I'm a full 2 seconds off the pace. Maybe more. I'm running Shimzu rubber tires. Soft in the rear and medium up front. Thanks for your help.
Worth checking that the front suspension is moving freely. The alloy balls into the steel king pin can need work to get this. A 3mm drill bit or reamer will help smooth out the holes in the balls and axles. I've also polished the steel pin with fine wet and dry paper.

What you're looking for is smooth movement all the way up and down. And both sides of course

Softening the front the stiffening the rear would give more steering. I'm running 1/12th 0.18 springs on the front, and a 16 lbs Touring car spring rear.

Also worth checking what caster you have the front set to. If it's up towards 6 to 8 degrees then cut it back. I'm down at 0 to 1 degrees.

And negative camber on the front wheels and tyres. One degree of negative is a good place to start...a bit more at a time if you need it.

More front additive would also give steering. "More" can be in one of two ways - more width across the tyre, or leaving it on the tyre for longer.

Try those. See how it goes. If you're still struggling come back and we'll sort it