R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Project: Team Associated TC9
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 AM
eds24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I received the Team Losi xxx-4 HD yellow belt yesterday and was eager to put it on the car and see how it fit.. as soon as I took it out of the package I realized how long it really is..and knew it would be too long for my car.. I still put it on the car anyway though..

This belt obviously won't work..even if I put a larger idler and pulley.. it would still be too long. I'm not sure how to feel about the yellow.. part of me says its frickin awesome! and makes the drivetrain design stand out.. the other half of me thinks its ugly and a black belt would look better. I'm looking into the Team Losi xxx-s yellow belt that came stock on the G+... I can't seem to find anyone who knows how long that belt is.. my guess is that it will also be too long..but I already lost $17 on this xxx-4 belt so it would be nice to know if that belt is the right length before I buy it.. so if anyone with a xxx-s could measure the stock blue belt or the yellow that would be great..

If I can't get a xxx-s / xxx-4 belt I'm not exactly sure how well I can get this one-belt design to work simply because if I were to buy a custom belt from a manufacturer.. I don't think it would be flexible enough..maybe if I cut every other tooth off but even then I'm not sure.

Anyway.. if anyone could help me with the length of the xxx-s belts that would be great!

Originally Posted by Chrissy C
Superb work Eds, can't wait to see more.

Just a couple of tihngs to consider...

What if you change the cell orientation to West/East as opposed to North/South - this would compress the spread of the main bulk of the weight (battery/motor) even more and palce a little more weight outwards which, if done right, isn't a bad thing.

The esc and servo can sit right in front of the cells - also although it is nice to keep as much of the donor car as possible, have you thought about the dual bellcrank system. Not knowing the tC6 very well i'm not sure if they have adopted this system (maybe on the TC6.1?) but every manufacturer seems to be going that route and in my experiance with the XRay it does seem to smooth out the steerings somewhat, it also enables you to use a low profile servo (facing frowards) that again allows you to compress the footprint of the electronics.

Just a couple of thoughts, hope you don't mind the input.

All the best mate.
Chris
Thanks Chris

I have considered putting the battery across the chassis..the reason why I haven't gone with that design.. is that the goal is to get the heaviest components as centralized as possible. But, I should mention that with how I'm designing everything.. the battery and electronics can be changed very easily... so that I can test new layouts.

I have thought about doing a dual bell crank, unfortunately though with the design that I'm currently working on.. with a centralized battery a dual bell crank would push the servo out too far. If I do some testing on a different layout that'll be something I consider though.. thanks. It's interesting how the engineers started out with dual bell cranks.. then went to a single bell crank and now going back to dual.

Last edited by eds24; 12-28-2011 at 09:46 AM.