R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Sow&Steady
Tech Elite

Originally posted by packetdreamer
i read the tips and tricks pertaining to steering on the dalton shop page, but if i could get some clarification/assistance, it would be appreicated.

right now i have the servo set so that when it is in nuetral the horn is at 90degs (pointing straight up). the link from the servo horn to the servosaver is the right length so that when the servo is in the nuetrual position, the servosaver is pointing straight toward the front of the car. the links from the servosaver to the knuckles are equal and the car tracks straight.

now my question/problem is this: when i steer to the left (servosaver spins clockwise) the servosaver moves all the way until it hits the plastic part that holds the hingepins (good)

when i steer to the right (servosaver spins counter clockwise) the servosaver moves and just before it is about to hit the part that holds the hingepins on the left side fo the car the movement gets all "mushy". this is because the servo horn is pulling the linkage towards teh back of the car and this causes he plastic ball cup to press against the servo horn. (bad)

is anyone else experiencing this, or know to to resolve it. i thought about tilting the servo horn toward the front while the servo is in nuetral, but i was nto sure if this would effect the rate of steering in one direction over the other.

if you have any suggestions, please, lay 'em down. thanks.
packetdreamer, there has been a lot of discussions on this in the past and since D is stubborn and refuse to write an article to post it somewhere (3hobby.com or myTSN.com) so people can refer, you'll have to surf back hundreds of pages to find it!

Even if you search using the "InitialD" criteria you'll be going through hundreds of pages ... he's a prolific poster and with nearly 14,000. No offence D, you're generous with knowledge in this thread, we appreciate it!

Anyway, since you're so nice to join 3hobby.com, here's my tip. The original length as given in the manual is for exactly the set-up you mentioned ... servo horn straight up. You then get the problems you've experienced.

I have 2 710's, one with a Futaba 9550 and the other with a Sanwa WRX. For the Futaba I found that you needed to but the turnbuckle of the link so as to allow you to get 39mm tip to tip. For the WRX servo, 40mm tip-to-tip. You then need to set the servo horn slanting towards the front slightly at neutral point.

Doing this I get equal 38 degrees left and right with the Futaba and about 40 degrees left and right with the WRX.

Another good thing to do is to download the 710 FAQ ... look for the link under MarkP's signature in this thread.