R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
jneg
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SNR Graphite
How is the Carbon chassis holding up in nitro? I always thought that carbon chassis in nitro will over heat the engine because it does not dissipate heat like aluminum.
There are a few advantages to running Al over Carbon but heat is not supposed to be one of them. The engine head, block and mounts should be enough of a heat sink if the tune is correct. How long does it take an aluminum chassis to get "heat soaked" to keep the engine from overheating? To find the perfect tune one has to erase the chassis from the equation. It takes a long time so in a perfect world the chassis should not remove any heat from the engine. The bad thing about carbon chassis has to do with center of gravity (CG). If you lower the weight of the chassis then you raise the CG of the car. But in some cases, like in the DM1, that weights a lot more than the GT series then one can see the advantage but still you are sacrificing the CG. How much? who knows, I use a carbon chassis in my DM1 and has worked great. The Al chassis (King Headz) also worked great, so to me it is only a matter of weight.