R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC6 Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
cwoods34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bjanzen
So.... Can someone explain this to a newbie?

Used to race a TC3 years ago.... Just had my first race with a used TC6. I looked over the car and rebuilt the shocks with 40wt oil. Was a handful to drive! Remove the rear sway arm..... Helps a bit.
Talk to Shaun Mac and Gene..... They suggest raising my roll center from 0B to 3B. Did the rear first...... Reset droop and RH...... Pushing like a truck. Did the same To the front..... Much better! Can actually drive the car with some aggressiveness. Finally have the tires barking!

Now........ Trying to get my head around what I did........ I thought raising the roll center would stiffen the suspension and decrease traction??? It did the opposite...... Made it tighter in the turns and more stable in the straight :-D
Raising the roll center (arm blocks) will LOWER the amount of roll (rotational force) applied to the tires. So, going from 0B to 3B all around will produce less of this force. It doesn't actually "stiffen" the suspension. It seems like in most typical conditions, a car will like a given arm mount (say 0B all around) and you tune with the other options, like the upper link, droop, shocks, etc......

There are always a number of things..... certain grip levels, different tires, layouts, track conditions that affect it... even driving style to a certain degree.

Going up to 3B won't necessarily take away traction..... in fact I've had issues with traction rolling and actually going down to 0B with more droop fixed it, because of how it loaded the tires and controlled those forces. It's all about mechanical grip and weight distribution

I have noticed 3Bs all around on the 6 can work well in low grip if you are a point-n-shoot kind of driver.

If I am wrong on anything, please chime in and correct me!