R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 12th 17.5 Why so popular in US?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Which is perfectly fine in TC racing where the cars are theoretically too fast and break at 17.5 boosted speeds. 12th cars with their lower mass, and lower voltage shrug off hits that peel steering blocks and caster blocks off TC's.

NO ONE ever got into this hobby to go slow. The first question every prospective newbie asks is "How fast does this go?"

Closer, Slower, racing is great in beginner classes. VTA, USGT, and even 17.5 blinky sedan (which is by no means entry-level) are fine. Regardless of how much we try to make 12th scale an entry level class, it NEVER will be. The cars are really no easier to drive at 17.5 blinky vs. boosted speeds, and the attention to detail a good chassis set-up requires is no different either. All that happens is that people who were two laps off are now only a lap off, because the fast guys cars have been regulated to be slower.

Factor in that we now have SLOWED the class down, making the step to faster OPEN classes more difficult, and we begin to see why Americans don't step to Mod anymore.

As I've stated before, the public has spoken, and Blinky is the way we will go in the future. Until everyone gets sick of it, and they come up with a new formula. It's racing, it's cyclic, and I'm done trying to fight it. If everything but Mod is going blinky, I'll run 13.5.
i don't know if 17.5 no timing is the right formula, I'm just saying warp speed 8 minute pucker racing is not going to boost turnouts. To me, it looks like we crossed the line where mod is a feasible class for average humans a long time ago. I can remember racing mod tc around 2000 and it would draw 1-2 heats on a race day. That dried up a long time ago.

Why does it matter if somebody puts a lap or 2 laps on the slow guys? Do you get a bigger trophy for that?