R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 AM
hana166
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a shout to all the people using heatshrink and O rings on the suspension, something which I think is unnecessary..Most A700 owners are accomplished racers, perhaps you guys already tried this but..

I mentioned before that the slop is due to insufficient spring preload, which is self evident. Many have found that the slop occurs at opposite corners which is a logical finding. This is what I do..

Get the suspension super free first, and balance the car L-R to within 2g. Remove the bumper assembly. Get a fine ride height gauge 0.2mm increments.

When I first built the car I had slop in opposite corners but the car was equal in ride height in all 4 corners. I noticed that the spring preload/ride height screws were not at the same height. The corners with the slop had the screw higher, obviously, so the opposite corners which had no slop had more preload and were holding the car up, but level, in opposite corners (meaning that less preload is needed on the other springs, hence the slop)

So I matched the heights of the preload screws L-R, just by eye, and the car was still dead level, but the preloads were equal, which eliminated the slop but also with the added bonus of equalising the spring tensions L-R across the car

The beauty of the system is that without coil springs, spring collars and shock towers that are almost never perfectly horizontal, things which add error in setting up a conventional car, you can reliably use the height of the preload screws to get the car in balance assuming that the tolerances of the springs are close enough and the car is balanced overall L-R, and of course, the screws themselves are equal in length.

I know I haven't mentioned corner weights but I found that spring preload has a large effect on the values when using four digital scales, and its the preloads themselves that I'm trying to balance, not using the preloads to balance the corner weights. So I never use 4 scales. Maybe its not the ultimate method but I found the car extremely consistent and balanced by doing it this way.

I actually found it vastly easier to set than a conventional car

Last edited by hana166; 12-16-2011 at 03:40 AM.