R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trinity G4 - Team Magic G4 E-Type
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 11:53 PM
rc_alan
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by KMac
Posting the parts won't do much good if it's being custom made. The problem with the bellcrank systems is the same problem you have with the MTX-3 system you're adapting: they are 90 degree bellcranks and the G4 needs a 180 degree bellcrank.

Part of the reason the G4 is the best performing car out there is due to it's high speed steering abilities, which comes from it's sliding rack design that essentially has little to no Ackerman problems,(but obviously has durability issues). The bell crank system works well but does have Ackerman issues. The TM steering fix is inbetween the two, as it is a parallel link design which is close to the original system's geometry, but not quite the same.

The TM design does, however, maintain the 5th body post capability, whereas any of the bellcrank designs must use the body post mount to secure the top of the bell crank mount.

Also, on the bellcrank design, if the distance (A) from the steering link attach point to the center of the bellcrank pivot is longer than the distance (B) from the pivot to the steering knuckle link attach points, you're going to have slower steering than the original or the new G4 steering systems. If (A) is shorter than (B), though, you will have faster steering, but at the sacrifice of overall steering torque capability.
Kmac... Ok.. I've never had a steering problem with a bell crank setup... My Mugen is the best driving and steering car I've ever had... That's why I'm changing the G4 to the same system... To each his own... If you like the steering rails... Great... I and 99% of the RC world will stay with the bellcrank system... Oh, and believe me, my G4 will be dialed and with no steering failures either... I will look into the TM update for my other G4 like I posted earlier... but only after I've seen a few posts about it here in this forum... Not bashing... Just know what I want to do... and I'm very close to getting with the car.

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 07-24-2004 at 12:09 AM.