R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
CypressMidWest
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
On this car, it seems that when I change one thing at a time I wind up instantly changing it back. I'm going up on the dampener fluid to the CRC "white" (the thickest I own, but I can get some diff lube from the Short Bus Truck racers at my track as needed) and softening the side springs in one step, hopefully that will help it out, then I will play with the center shock or the front springs.
I've found that purple fronts tend to make the car doublesteer. They don't have a ton of bite initially, then when heavily loaded, they tend to dig in. A magenta will have more initial, and more predictable mid corner. Pink fronts will steer even more initially, but not quite as much once loaded in the middle of the corner.

Softening your side springs and adding dampening could actually make your problem worse. The added dampening may be too much for the blue side springs, which would make the car resist centering up after the apex. I would go up in dampening to 20k or even 30k while leaving the white side springs in place. Balancing the side spring rate to the level of dampening is critical for cornerspeed.

With Blue side springs I run no more than 15k in the tubes, White side springs usually 15k to 30k, on the few occasions that I've run Red springs it's been 20k to 50k. With these scenarios the spring and the dampening are evenly matched and the car is very consistent. Less dampening and more spring, the car becomes very "reactive", and tends to double steer. More dampening, less spring, and the car starts to turn-in hard, then gives up mid-corner, then steers hard on exit.