R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Pro!
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
F N CUDA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Hey guys, thinking about picking up a a F1 car. I hear the 104 platform is the way to go, but there appears to be a 104, 104 pro, 104X1. Which one should I get for racing and why?

Appreciate the help.
All are good. The F104s (F60 or McLaren) are basic kits and would need some bearings, an oil damper, good tie rods and ends, plastic suspension balls replaced with aluminum, motor pod will be plastic etc. The good parts are, body, wheels, silvercan motor.

The Pro kits are all good stuff including carbon fiber chassis (although the FRP/fiberglass has been favored for asphalt low bite conditions), oil damper, aluminum parts, bearings etc. but no body or wheels.

The X1 is the best of all of it and also has the new side damper and hub/balancer as well as all the other good stuff.
I'd say snatch up an X1 if you can, as they became instantly discontinued but all parts are available only in blue anodized form and can be used to convert a Pro or even a basic F104 for a fair price. Just know you'll need to get a body and of course wheels and tires. Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 are unmatched for tire performance.

The F104 Ws are 200mm wide and may not be included in some clubs "Realistic" specifications due to them being wider than the recently more accepted 180mm Modern specs.