R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
vafactor
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default cause of double steer

It's likely that a major source of your double steering issue is too light of dampening in the side tubes. Most guys run at least 10,000 in the tubes these days (I think the blue cap CRC bottle is about 10,000). A few of the team drivers have been going as stiff as 50,000. I suggest that you try 20,000. Then, an easy way to tell if it's too thick is to run a few laps with the 20,000, pull over quickly and pop off one tube and run a few more laps with just one tube connected. You'll know right away if that simple and quick trackside change made the car better or worse. If the car gets better with just one tube connected, than 20,000 is too thick. If if it gets worse, then 20,000 is not thick enough. Lately 20,000 has been my default tube lube and I go up or down slightly from there depending on track conditions.

Originally Posted by DesertRat
To my knowledge when a 1/12 scale starts to double-steer and or have steering and traction in pulses around a corner it means that the front end isn't moving freely, however the front end in my Gen-XL moves very free and still steers in pulses, it goes around the track fairly well but its not confidence inspiring so pushing it for faster laps becomes an i-don't-want-to-clip-that-apex exercise.

In the back I run light fluid (less that 3000wt) with a CRC white side spring, an associated Gold spring on the shock with 30wt shock oil. In the front its a 0.020" thick CRC stock spring with no tube lube on the kingpin, just a dab of Associated Green Slime in the plastic insert, the 5 degree reactive caster block with 3 degrees of static, almost zero camber, 1-2 degrees of toe out, Pink rear tires and purple fronts. If I add steering throw, it just gets worse in its pulsing and scrubs energy, but never seems to get to where the back end will really come around, it just seems to pulse to a stop like the front brakes are on.

I'm thinking of going to a heavier fluid in the center shock with a heavier spring, and heavier side dampener fluid with a lighter side spring like a CRC Blue in an effort to slow down the transition of weight to the front as I suspect what is happening is the weight of the car is bouncing off the front spring and then rebounding due to lack of dampening. Has anybody else had this sort of problem before? Double-steer for no apparent reason?