Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Is the Traxxas 2017 Ford Raptor RTR A Good Buy? >

Is the Traxxas 2017 Ford Raptor RTR A Good Buy?

Is the Traxxas 2017 Ford Raptor RTR A Good Buy?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Is the Traxxas 2017 Ford Raptor RTR A Good Buy?

salesmen talked me out of it at the store, along with no home charger included.

How good of a buy is it as a 1st r/c car?

Please link the exact batteries you would buy to run in this vehicle

Also what is a good entry level charger that will charge LIPO's and NIMH batteries, that you would buy knowing what you know now about the world of r/c.

However if there is a better RTR or build up kit that is only an extra $100 or more please let me know!

Phabeon'

p.s. I had a better post but after more than 5 days it still has not appeared, any idea whats up?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The brushed Slash is ok. It can be fun truck. But 2 wheel drive and brushed has limits. And it's easy to overspend on upgrades. We've all done it.

There are other options. Just depends on what plans are. Just looking to mess around few times a month, then brushed might be ok. What kind of area are you running in, is racing in plans.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

hmmm, it seems the more and more I read about Traxxas it confirms what you say.

A very good and dependable starter but will quickly become way more expensive as you upgrade/replace parts v/s starting out with an initially higher price point.

You mention some other options? What are those?

I have been investigating some on my own but perhaps that may need to be another, seperate post.

any thoughts on a mid level charger for LIPO's and NIMH batteries?

Regards,

Phabeon
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

https://www.teamassociated.com/news/...lub_racer_kits

THIS is how you get into r/c right now.
I'm not a huge AE fan, but I do run a B6 2wd buggy
This is the only RTR kinda thing I could throw down with
Old 09-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phabeon View Post
hmmm, it seems the more and more I read about Traxxas it confirms what you say.

A very good and dependable starter but will quickly become way more expensive as you upgrade/replace parts v/s starting out with an initially higher price point.

You mention some other options? What are those?

I have been investigating some on my own but perhaps that may need to be another, seperate post.

any thoughts on a mid level charger for LIPO's and NIMH batteries?

Regards,

Phabeon
Really depends on what your plans are. Are looking to run at a track, even if not racing. Then the Associated kits posted might be good option. If it's grass and baseball fields, and like that then maybe not. What's the most likely area you'd be driving. A Slash style truck looks pretty big on flat surface, but put it in grass that few inches deep,suddenly looks bit smaller.

Associated, Arrma, Kyosho all have solid RTR vehicles. Hpi is another. Though Hpi has had rough couple years even with new owners.

Figure getting decent charger and couple batteries will add $100-200 to budget.

I've got nothing against Traxxas. I've owned more then 20 from them. And for most part all have been good.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 09-15-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

BASHING, which from my quick google search means jus racing around with no real structure, at home, driveway, park, dirt trails, anywhere..

^^ pretty much me, however last weekend went to a hobby shop and they had a race track going and that did look insanely fun!! However for now, jus BASHING

I am doing heavy research on which RTR kit to start with and I'm getting closer there..

however completely clueless on batteries and chargers..

so if initially I am just bashing around..

What mid level charger would you recommend?

Would need to charge both LIPO and NIMH(if I somehow restore my Team Losi XXX-T Sport and Team Associated RC10 T3 RTR kits from 1995....

What batteries would you recommend, both LIPO and NIMH(mainly for old cars above).

Once I have that info down pat I think I'll be closer to making a decision on the RTR kit I'ma go with..

much appreciated

oNe
Old 09-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phabeon View Post
BASHING, which from my quick google search means jus racing around with no real structure, at home, driveway, park, dirt trails, anywhere..

^^ pretty much me, however last weekend went to a hobby shop and they had a race track going and that did look insanely fun!! However for now, jus BASHING

I am doing heavy research on which RTR kit to start with and I'm getting closer there..

however completely clueless on batteries and chargers..

so if initially I am just bashing around..

What mid level charger would you recommend?

Would need to charge both LIPO and NIMH(if I somehow restore my Team Losi XXX-T Sport and Team Associated RC10 T3 RTR kits from 1995....

What batteries would you recommend, both LIPO and NIMH(mainly for old cars above).

Once I have that info down pat I think I'll be closer to making a decision on the RTR kit I'ma go with..

much appreciated

oNe
That's cool you've got an option of running a track. I figured bashing would be main thing. Is for most.

Wide range of chargers. I used a very basic one for couple years. Worked fine.

https://www.ebay.com/i/252338832138

I've been using a Venom dual pro charger for almost 2 years now. Have too many vehicles that run dual batteries

I used mostly Venom batteries. Can be high on price but most have lasted long enuff to justify price. Though over past couple years I've been using more SMC batteries.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I guess I would see what they race some tracks have a stock slash class which can be fun, it could be a dual rc.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have a 7 year old 2 wd slash that I sometimes screw around with. I have a lot of fun with it. I think traxxas stuff the best for bashing but if you are going to try racing it......unless its against other traxxas stuff, its just not a good racer. A friend took an ultimate slash and tried to make it competitive. $600 on top of what he paid for the car he gave up, sold it and bought a teckno
Old 11-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As a beginner rc the slash is a good buy. I got my boys one and they beat it up and for the most part it can take it. I dont buy any type of upgrades for them but the replacement parts are cheap.