Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By Lone Drifter

Noob here, need help/reccomendations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 PM
H22
Tech Rookie

Default Noob here, need help/reccomendations.

So, RCTech, I've really been wanting to get into RC's for a long time now, I've been building 1/24 model kits for a while now and I want to try sometging that actually moves, I've been looking at the Tamiya TT02D, but I want something that can drift and can also race with some grip tires (I don't know if this is possible). I want to know what will I need apart from a body. I'm on a budget of 200$, so nothing too professional.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That's a tough budget if racing is in plan. You'd have to find out what classes are being run.

You can make any touring car drift. Just takes practice. I've read of some places that race the Tamiya. But not in my area. Actually only seen 2 tamiya vehicle in 6 years. And 1 I briefly owned, a tt01.
H22 likes this.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 PM
H22
Tech Rookie

Actually I'm more focused on drifting since around here there's no on road/gt racing that I know of, so I guess I want a drift car I can grip witth occasionally.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Any touring car can drift. It will have limits compared to a dedicated drift car. But wit practice be suprised just how well. Going drift to road car doesn't work as well.

CS or countersteer was the choice few years ago. Front and rear tires spin at slightly different speeds. Forcing the vehicle to drift. It takes a while to get used to. But once get the feel it's fun. But it's drift only. Putting grip tires on doesn't work.

RWD, rear wheel drive has been growing in popularity over past couple years. I've tried it but never got vehicle to work. Could have been tires, surface, gyro setting, or something more. But just didn't work for me.

I've always suggested starting with a touring car. Most that try drift don't stay. Usually they find out it's not what they expected. Going with a touring car gives option of using regular tires and just driving.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just my opinion here: if you think you may at some point in the future want to try out racing after doing some drifting I would stay away from tamiya,actually I'd stay away from tamiya either way (again my own opinion, I do own some tamiya,s their bodies are great but I think they're (most) overly complicated, made from some sort of black cheese instead of plastic or carbon, every upgrade tamiya offers is expensive, they're not competitive (except their F1 offerings) with any other brand of highend manufacturer thus they have their own racing series. They have some great stuff, their scale models are some of the BEST out there (currently building 4 tamiya model kits), they're always the last to adopt a new technology, heck they just recently recognized that lipos are status quo. Again, my opinion, and I'm not hating on tamiya, every brand has its strengths and weaknesses.
You can find a good used highend car and radio, transmitter, battery, charger for around $200, heck I have a few, and that way you're not limited to just drifting or just tamiya sanctioned events etc.
Let the tamiya fan boy hate mail begin...
Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

I think One car to do both is difficult,.Finding a good drift group is much harder then finding somwhere to race.
Most Drifting groups seem to use CS or RWD cars now, They tend to work better in smaller track setups.
The touring car could do both but you would still be better with two cars.
Funny thing is if you get into RC as a hobby that one car thing goes out the window quick
gigaplex likes this.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Set
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by roosterreagan
Just my opinion here: if you think you may at some point in the future want to try out racing after doing some drifting I would stay away from tamiya,actually I'd stay away from tamiya either way (again my own opinion, I do own some tamiya,s their bodies are great but I think they're (most) overly complicated, made from some sort of black cheese instead of plastic or carbon, every upgrade tamiya offers is expensive, they're not competitive (except their F1 offerings) with any other brand of highend manufacturer thus they have their own racing series. They have some great stuff, their scale models are some of the BEST out there (currently building 4 tamiya model kits), they're always the last to adopt a new technology, heck they just recently recognized that lipos are status quo. Again, my opinion, and I'm not hating on tamiya, every brand has its strengths and weaknesses.
You can find a good used highend car and radio, transmitter, battery, charger for around $200, heck I have a few, and that way you're not limited to just drifting or just tamiya sanctioned events etc.
Tamiya TT02 kits starts at $80, you can't get that kind of price with other manufacturer.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roosterreagan
It is possible to have an incorrect opinion. Tamiya absolutely has competitive offerings.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 AM
H22
Tech Rookie

Thanks for replying! Getting some good advice here.
On the subject of the drifting/touring, I'm more inclined on drifting since I can do it mostly everywhere, wether as touring cars I'd have to find an open space since there are no on road racetracks on the entire country, so whatever I do I'm never going to actually compete, and also there are some drift tracks in some hobby shops but they're prette small.
On the subject of brand I want to go Tamiya since they're the best at model kits and I assume the qualirty would also be good with RC, and also price.
And I may get another RC down the line.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by H22
Thanks for replying! Getting some good advice here.
On the subject of the drifting/touring, I'm more inclined on drifting since I can do it mostly everywhere, wether as touring cars I'd have to find an open space since there are no on road racetracks on the entire country, so whatever I do I'm never going to actually compete, and also there are some drift tracks in some hobby shops but they're prette small.
On the subject of brand I want to go Tamiya since they're the best at model kits and I assume the qualirty would also be good with RC, and also price.
And I may get another RC down the line.
Tamiya does have excellent looking bodies. And does have some very nice high end touring cars. Wouldn't put the tt02 in that area.

Most drift tracks are small. RC drift isn't about speed. It's about control.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

I was in a similar boat when I was deciding what car to go with first. I wanted a little off road, a little on road. And I loved rally cars look. I ended up with a Tamiya xv-01.

I don't regret it. Tamiya bodies are the best looking for scale realism. I ended up not rallying at all! Very seldom would I take this car off road since it has pretty limited suspension. In the end a dedicated vehicle is probably the best.

The reason for my long winded reply is, even though you might like the idea of drifting, you may just end up street bashing with grip tires. It happend to me this time around and it happened to me 20 years ago with an Rc10 buggy, I just mostly drove out in front of my house on the driveway and streets. I suppose you can drift on the street too.

Tamiya make great cars. You just have to have a good place for parts. Because waiting for online orders is the pits. I end up ordering from tqrc in California. And online eBay.

Tt02 seems like a pretty upgradable chassis (check out thercracer.com) but it's never going to be a high end racer. That being said it seems like there is a significant population who drive their tt02 cars at club levels.

How about the tt02s?

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Tamiya does have excellent looking bodies. And does have some very nice high end touring cars. Wouldn't put the tt02 in that area.

Most drift tracks are small. RC drift isn't about speed. It's about control.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:24 PM
H22
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the help! I ended up ordering a TT02R as I saw one at a good price, visiting my local hobby shop which is luckily about 10 minutes away to get geared up and see what I will need to get it done, also going to see if there are any tracks, although I'm not looking for competition I'd like some practice. Again, thanks for the advice!
Old 07-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Get something a little nicer than a TT02
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-58448...wAAOSwWxNY2MVf
Old 07-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Drift car

Originally Posted by H22
Actually I'm more focused on drifting since around here there's no on road/gt racing that I know of, so I guess I want a drift car I can grip witth occasionally.
Iv had good luck with the traxxas mustang and traxxas ken block ford fusion. Both are reasonably priced and hold up well