Tamiya TT01

Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya TT01

Hi guys, i'm new to 1/10 EP rc car and i'm about to get this Tamiya TT01. Reason why it's because that there will be a race organize by the LHS here and this TT01 is other only car they allowed in the beginner category.

I'm just wondering how's the performance of this car. I would like to participate in the race and also future races as well. And if my skill improved then i would like to upgrade to option parts for my car for future races. So i would love to have a tunable and good performance car. Please advice.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The TT-01 is a good car to learn with.
The first thing I would replace would be the bushings with good quality bearings. Also get some TRF shocks. Other than that have fun racing.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

I also have this chassis that I want to learn drifting on and built it with the beaings and the rtf shocks. What motors will run with the stock esc that will be ok. I just have the stock one that came with it. Socal stocks the hopup motor but I run brushless in my other car. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tn350z
I also have this chassis that I want to learn drifting on and built it with the beaings and the rtf shocks. What motors will run with the stock esc that will be ok. I just have the stock one that came with it. Socal stocks the hopup motor but I run brushless in my other car. Any suggestions?
The TEU-101BK ESC's motor limit is 23T. Any stock 27T motor such as Revenge of the Monster or the Fantom Stock will be more than enough for drifting.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. The shocks and the bearings are the first thing that i would change too. But that i have to stick to the Do and Don't list if i still wanna be in the race.

I haven't really look at this TT01 chassis before but i would say that from the photos i saw from the website, it's quite lack of tunability right?
Old 01-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We used to run a spec TL01 class(different tamiya car) and it was great for new and old racers. So it sounds like you will be running with equality wich is great when starting out.

have fun
Old 01-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by oracle
Thanks guys. The shocks and the bearings are the first thing that i would change too. But that i have to stick to the Do and Don't list if i still wanna be in the race.

I haven't really look at this TT01 chassis before but i would say that from the photos i saw from the website, it's quite lack of tunability right?
Yes. I had a TT-01 one time but it's gone now. There is almost no adjustability on the car period. In order to adjust the camber, toe and steering, you would need to get a suspension kit that Tamiya has or get the TT-01R.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

keep in mind guys he is entering a TT01 class. So the cars weaknesses are not real issues. He should find out what the rules are first before he adds hopups for nothing. Perhaps they only allow a box stock car
Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Tech Adept

The TT-01 is quite similar to the TB evo series. The only difference is that the TB series is for pros and TT-01's are for the beginners because of their difference in tunability and maybe also in "bling-bling" . TT-01 is good for you if you're still starting out. And get also what superkarter has told you to get, those bushings and better shocks.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all your reply guys. Here are the rules to the race:

STOCK CLASS

CAR REGULATIONS ==================================

1. Cars eligible for qualification are TT01/TL01 chassis only.

2. Only Mabuchi/Johnson silver can 540 motor #53689 to be used.

3. A 3 step mechanical speed controller, CPR01 included in XB2 and TEU-101BK#45029 are permitted to be used in this class.

4. Tamiya original tires #50419 Radial tire , #50454 Slick tire and #50810 Semi slick tire can be used only in this class.

5. Any Tamiya Hop-Up Option and spare part is allowed as long as it is used in the way it designed, and on the vehicle it was designed for.

6. All Tamiya car bodies must be painted.

7. Any attempt to modify or to influence the ability of the motor is not allowed. No modifications to the motor connectors are allowed.

8. Minimum weight of car ready to run is to be 1,500g.

9. Clearance under main chassis parts must exceed 5mm before the race.

10. All drivers that had or are receiving any form of sponsorships will not be eligible to participate.

I tried to search through the internet looking for reviews about this TT01 but i didn't find much info. Previously i'm quite active in the Mini Z scene. But this is the first time i'm into 1/10. I know that this TT01 isn't much as i've done some research all these while. I like to study different cars' dynamic and tunability. And i also love to do some read up on RC Car Action and some other RC mags. But since i'm a beginner in the 1/10 scene, so i thought that this TT01 is the right choice after all. And one of the reason why i've made up my mind is because of you guys. Thanks for all the comments.

I would like to know what are the other stuff that i can get to further tune up my car in the future other than the bearings and oil shocks? Is it possible to tune the tie rod and different shocks mounting positions? All these upgrades are not for the coming race. Just that i would like to know whether i can further improve the performance for this car. I've already booked the bearings set. I'll be needing a new set of tires for my practice. Since the carpet track ain't ready yet, i'll just have to hang out at the parking lot for practicing. The shop owner recommend that i get the Sorex wheels and tires (40 degree) plus the inserts. But being new i just don't know what's good and what's not.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Great, you can use Tamiya hop-ups. Definitely go with the TT-01 over the TL-01, use the ESC, and get the following:

Aluminum driveshaft
Graphite upper deck
TRF Dampers set

Those three mods will make the biggest difference in your car's handling and are cost effective. The TRF dampers are expensive, but you can use them on your next touring car should you decide to sell the TT-01 for something else. If you do decide to keep it for awhile, I would look for the aluminum steering upgrade as well, it will get rid of a lot of play/slop in the steering.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thai3g_Eclipse
Great, you can use Tamiya hop-ups. Definitely go with the TT-01 over the TL-01, use the ESC, and get the following:

Aluminum driveshaft
Graphite upper deck
TRF Dampers set

Those three mods will make the biggest difference in your car's handling and are cost effective. The TRF dampers are expensive, but you can use them on your next touring car should you decide to sell the TT-01 for something else. If you do decide to keep it for awhile, I would look for the aluminum steering upgrade as well, it will get rid of a lot of play/slop in the steering.

thanks thai3g_eclipse.. that helps a lot. I've just checked tamiya.com for the TT01R.. and those option parts are just what i need in the future. I think that the expensive shocks are ok since they can be use in my future cars too.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by oracle
thanks thai3g_eclipse.. that helps a lot. I've just checked tamiya.com for the TT01R.. and those option parts are just what i need in the future. I think that the expensive shocks are ok since they can be use in my future cars too.
If possible, do get the TT-01R because it will save you a lot of hassle. The regular TT-01 comes with air friction shocks which are absolutely horrible for carpet, and the chassis has a lot of flex because of all that plastic. The TRF dampers are in my opinion one of the best shock sets for touring cars; I myself have a set on my Yokomo. It's at least ten folds better over the plastic ones.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

I'll have to check with the organizer whether the TT-01R is allowed in the race. Else i guessed that i'll just have to stick to the TT-01.

Yeah, i do know that the stock spring shocks are horrible, especially on carpet. Will contact the LHS to ask for this TT-01R before i start assembly the kit.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for posting your rules that really helps. Will u be racing on carpet?

Sorex tires are a great choice also takeoff(RP tires) are great too. 40's maybe to hot for indoors. But temperature at the track will dictate that. We run 24s to 28s at our indoor track. But its an indoor track in the winter in the basement of a strip mall. our track temps will likely be lower then say a southern states track on ground level

Thai3g_Eclipse gives super great advise on this car. According to your rules any tamiya hop ups are allowed sot the TT01R should be 100% legal. Also it will save u lots of money getting it first rather then upgrading the stock chassis to R specs.

It is similar to buying the tc4 and upgrading to tc4factory it costs way more in the end to do that.

Looks like a very good class your going into. I especially like rule #10. Keeps things nice and fair.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.