Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Charger Problems Need Help >

Charger Problems Need Help

Charger Problems Need Help

Old 01-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Charger Problems Need Help

I have a prophet plus LCD charger and when you plug it in it shows numbers on the screen (0000,1111,2222...) up to 9 and I plugged it in yesterday and it did that and when I looked at it later the screen was blank. ( There was no battery connected)
I checked the plug and it was definitely plugged in, I tried to plug it into another socket, I turned it around and tried and nothing happened. The I plugged a battery in and the numbers showed up (this was this morning) but I didn't have time to check if it would charge because I had to leave to go to a meeting for robotics.
Just now when I got home I plugged another battery in and there was a large spark the looked like it came from the charger, not the connectors. I unplugged the battery an plugged it back in and nothing happened.

Does anybody have any ideas on what happened and if it is fixable?

I'm very frustrated because this charger is fairly new and I don't have any money to buy a new one.

Thank You for any help I may get.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by NoahTheBoa
I have a prophet plus LCD charger and when you plug it in it shows numbers on the screen (0000,1111,2222...) up to 9 and I plugged it in yesterday and it did that and when I looked at it later the screen was blank. ( There was no battery connected)
I checked the plug and it was definitely plugged in, I tried to plug it into another socket, I turned it around and tried and nothing happened. The I plugged a battery in and the numbers showed up (this was this morning) but I didn't have time to check if it would charge because I had to leave to go to a meeting for robotics.
Just now when I got home I plugged another battery in and there was a large spark the looked like it came from the charger, not the connectors. I unplugged the battery an plugged it back in and nothing happened.

Does anybody have any ideas on what happened and if it is fixable?

I'm very frustrated because this charger is fairly new and I don't have any money to buy a new one.

Thank You for any help I may get.
It should still be under warranty look for a number or address so you could send it in to get fix
Old 01-21-2006, 10:46 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you bought the charger from a Hobby Shop, you may be able to take it there and have one of the employees take a look at the charger and see if everything is alright on it.

I know that it has an external fuse, so you may want to check that. If it sparked, it may have blown the fuse. You just need to gently pull it out, and make sure the filiment is still "whole."

Otherwise, check your manual for repair/support. I beleive the number should be 1-877-504-0233 for the service tech.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help but I figured out the problem. the 7.5 amp fuse was busted. So now I have to go find one.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fuses are there to tell u something wrong has happened. Sounds as though there is an internal short. From what u described and then finally getting a spark and a blown fuse im sure your due to send that thing in for repairs.

Try the fuse but ill bet its going to blow. Fuses are used to protect further damage to the unit, so make sure your only using the same amp rated fuse as a replacement.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:46 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The only time a fuse might blow and not have something wrong with the charger itself would be your battery connectors somewhere touching metal to metal, or somehow being overloaded. Otherwise something inside may be wrong.

You need to investigate where that spark came from...